May Raised Bed

May Raised Bed

Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring? Not yet.

It snowed last night - the ultimate insult to a gardener convinced that spring has sprung.  Last week it was in the 60's with sun one day and rain the next so I was able to work-in a little outdoor time.  I planted two 10' rows of snow peas in my home raised bed on Friday and ~200' of snow peas in double rows at Jim's on Saturday, two pounds total.  A second 10' raised bed was planted on Sunday with a variety of lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard.  And after a light rain the day before, on Wednesday I put in 100' of Red Norland potatoes at Jim's.  The rhubarb Jim and I planted last year along the northern edge of the field is coming up nicely.  Its still too soon to tell how many of the 200 or so plants survived the winter.

Most of last Saturday was spent pampering our IH Farmall 400 tractor.  Every reservoir of oil was changed including the gear case which my father swears hasn't been done in over 30 years.  The spark plugs were also changed after 30+ years of service.  The 12v change from 6v last year made starting the tractor much easier but with the recent spark plug change, I've never known that tractor to start so easily.  I drove the tractor from dad's place over to Jim's Friday evening.

Will told me yesterday he's heading down to Berlin over the weekend so I'm putting together another order from Berlin Seed Co.

Due to the off-and-on rain this week and now the snow, I have doubts about being able to plant the Lacey malting barley in Early April, the field is a soaked sponge right now.  At least the winter wheat is a happy carpet of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment