May Raised Bed

May Raised Bed

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Beating the Rain

Every forecast I saw this morning called for rain by early afternoon.  Not only that, but after a week of temperatures in the 70's and 80's, a forecasted high of 50' by week's end is not exactly welcome news.  So this morning I coupled the disc to the Farmall and fitted-up a little over an acre in the east field.  Then I dropped off the disc and hitched the grain drill.  As this was the first time out this season, I greased all the fittings and checked it over thoroughly before filling it with Lacey barley (malting barley) and adjusting the seeding rate.  Two passes with the disc and one with the drill took about three hours.

By 5pm it still had not started raining so I decided to fit up another plot in the east field about 30' by 200'.  It was getting pretty dark by 7:30pm when the field was ready to plant but the rain hadn't started yet so I exchanged the Farmall for the two-wheeled tractor with the potato plow and prepped four rows 50' each.  I planted 200' of Kennebeck potatoes and finished hoeing the rows by 8:30pm.

Maybe it'll rain tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment